Monday, February 20, 2017

Shed Siding- Installing Siding From Free Materials

While shed siding comes in all types, I was able to gather some free materials for mine.  I did some work with a local handyman for a year or so who worked with a Realtor.  One time we replaced about ten square of cedar lap siding that had been warped a little by the sun.  when I asked him what we were going to do with it all, he told me that I was going to cut it up into four foot pieces for the dumpster.  The ideas in my head began to turn, and I told him that we could just load it up and put it in my backyard.  He was happy with that, and so was I.  My wife wasn’t too thrilled though when I piled up two stacks of variable sized cedar siding in the back yard, but she is thrifty too, and saw that it would be worth something in the end.
A few months later, that same handyman was putting up plywood window coverings on rental houses because of a hurricane threat.  He called me when it was over to ask if I had put sheathing on the outside of my shed yet, and if I wanted all this plywood.  More free stuff.  This was getting too good to be true.  There are many ways to sheath your shed, but plywood is great for strength and for being able to nail siding in any location.

After installing the sheathing by putting it up horizontally, I started with trimming the corners and along the underside of the roofing with 1 X 4 inch boards. The cedar boards were lap siding, and they were warped outward from sun exposure.  I turned them to put the warp inside.  It actually made my shed look like a log cabin.

Most of them were 8 to 12 feet in length, so I did not have very many seams.  I think there were only three, and I put those on the back, so they wouldn’t be seen.  The cedar siding was cut to length fitting inside the rim boards, and the top pieces were angle cut on the top to fit along the angled roof line.  Lap siding gets nailed where the siding overlaps.  It commonly overlaps by about 1 1/4 inches.  There it was; my cedar, log cabin looking shed made with nearly all salvaged materials.  I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment