Monday, February 20, 2017

First Shed Building

I’m not a genius when it comes to shed construction, but I have had a little experience when it comes to building a shed. It was a fun and sometimes frustrating DIY project. The whole family got involved, and we got it done. This is just the beginning of the story.

A few years ago, I bought a house and there were two problems that I wanted to take on that were also interrelated. 1) I had no shed in the backyard, and 2) there was a horrible looking throw-together awning and deck on the back.

Being a fairly thrifty person, or maybe I should say “cheap,” I decided to dismantle the awning and deck to use the materials for my new shed. On other job sites that I helped a contractor on, I acquired some old cedar siding. When I replaced my front door I saved the old one for the shed, too. After a hurricane I inherited the window plywood from three houses. It seemed I had almost everything that I needed to begin.
The supplies were piling up, but I still needed the studs for the walls. With some “encouragement” from my wife, who was sick of the piles stacking up in the yard we finally brought out the saws and hammers and began the building. 

No comments:

Post a Comment