Monday, February 20, 2017

My Shed Construction Project- The Walls Go up

After the decking was nailed down, I began to complete the walls for my shed construction project. Where the door was going to be and how tall they would be was important in my estimation.

I worked for a contractor for awhile, but I wasn’t experienced myself. Whenever we built sheds on the job I would see them do something that I had never seen before, so I would ask questions as to why they were doing things the way they were.

There were two important things for me to learn:
1) Building headers and corners- When building the header for the door I put a 5/8 inch plywood strip between the 2 X 4s to make it the same width as the stud uprights. The corners are done the same way. The corner studs have the plywood between them so that you can nail things to either side of the corner. ( I know pictures would really help here.)

2) The 16 inch on center rule- The studs need to start from one side or the other and be 16 inches on center from each other. The last one might be less than that depending on the length of the wall. If this rule isn’t followed, it becomes very difficult when putting up the sheathing on the outside. I know this from experience (the hard way)!

I got all the walls to my shed project up over an afternoon and the next morning. The first wall I did twice.
My creative roof was next on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment