Monday, February 20, 2017

My Shed Door Installation

I had saved the old front door from my house when I replaced it with a new one so I could install it on my shed.  It was rustic and solid wood, why not?

The lintel or header was built when I built the front wall.  Headers are made by cutting two 2 X 4s the same length as the width of your door opening plus 3 inches for the header supports (Don’t forget to make the opening about 5/8 inch bigger than your door).  When nailing the 2 X 4s together you put a 1/2 inch piece of plywood, cut the same size as the 2 X 4s, in between the 2 X 4s.  Doing this makes the lintel the same width as the 2 X 4 studs in the wall.

The header supports are 2 X 4s that are nailed to the wall studs in the door opening to hold up the header.  I ended up putting some 1/2 trim onto the header supports for a jamb against the door.  I even used the threshold from the front door as well.  You need to add that into the door opening as you build it.

No comments:

Post a Comment